Monday, March 11, 2013

Ode to Summer


Whoa, what happened to February? I’m certain Carlo and I had a nice time in the month of love. Come to think of it, we got to do a fabulous wine tasting and bought dance lessons.  I know, so romantic! As of right now I’m sitting here at the cafe at the Prairie Athletic Club; (I know great workout;) almost a month later and can’t believe its March. Anyway, Carlo is at Caleb’s first soccer class down at the indoor field, Josh is enjoying some free play in Kid Care and I am going to get some blogging done if it kills me.
Last weekend we celebrated Carlo’s birthday a little early.  We had some friends over for some life- size Jenga, Catch Phrase and a couple of margaritas.  We decided to make fried yucca and ceviche; it was an all -out perfect evening, with a Peruvian twist. Carlo enjoyed it and I was happy. Our friends came bearing gifts and now the plans for a dinner date to Samba Grill are in the works! Thanks guys!

 
In other random news, decorating the bakers rack at the edge of my kitchen has become the new obsession.  I've spent far too much time, eying it up close and from afar, trying to make it look like something out of a Elle Décor magazine to no avail….(see picture below.)  I like to believe I have a similar skill set in seamlessly changing décor in my home to fit the changing seasons like my beloved mother.  She so effortlessly transforms her home year after year, season after season, it could possibly make someone sick.  In all reality, I'm not nearly as gifted or as patience as she is so that's, that. Maybe, some day. Now that I’m through moving random, “spring-ish” items around the three- tiered metal structure to suit my need for happy colors and change, I can rest. The decorations can sit untouched for the next couple of months. Sigh.  I am however, loving my new centerpiece on the kitchen table and the cute bird house in my bedroom I got at my Partylite/31 party last month.  Thanks Jaime Mateo, and Jenna VV. for the lovely party.
 
Caleb is enjoying his gymnastics class on Wednesdays.  He is the oldest student and one of only two boys in his class of six.  It’s a great time for him to unplug and burn some energy.  It’s a win-win situation for all of us.
Speaking of Caleb, we just celebrated his third birthday on Saturday.  He insisted on a Caillou theme so that’s what we did.   It was fun and more relaxing then in years past; mission accomplished. For those of you who have called me crazy in the past, regarding birthday party preparation and the like; an FYI, I’m learning.  I think I’m getting the hang of it.  This year I put far less effort into details that don’t matter and stressed a lot less about stuff he will not even notice or perhaps remember.  That said, despite the cold Caleb is battling, he seemed to enjoy all there was about the toilet –paper- roll telescopes and the star-gazing we did with friends and loved ones.  (Insert small applause here, perhaps a cheesy pat on the back:).  The clean-up was quicker than the previous two birthday parties,(thanks Mom) and I was proud of the way everything turned out.  (Thanks love, for spending Friday night hanging up the night sky for me!)
The Birthday Boy!

The Space Exploration Station

The Dino Dig




 

Also, in an attempt to embrace turning one more year wiser, I decided I want to go to a concert this year. I want a country music concert, with cowboys boots and a van full of my mama friends.  Without a whole lot of deliberation, the tickets for a Carrie Underwood concert with the girls were bought, and I couldn’t be more excited.  I’m simple stoked! I am also certain that word is very dorky. Anyway, all that said am looking forward to a late night out in early May.  The countdown to my 33rd birthday has begun. Should be great! Details to come.

We are very ready for the new season, I am sick of the cold, rainy weather and so desperately need an afternoon at the park and a good old fashioned picnic and a maybe a visit to the splash-pad and also a morning walk through the path in the woods and a chalk party and a lemonade stand and oh, a little sun bathing during nap-time with a good book would be great as well.....oh, the sweet memories of summer.  They seem so distant yet so close to my heart. 
 Ode to Summer 
 How I miss thee.
 May your sun-drenched days return to me like a fish to the water. 
May I feel your bronze kisses on my cheek.  I long for your sprinkler- beckoning ways. 
Come back to us, Oh summer. 
How I miss thee.
Laugh all you want. I just write what my heart is feeling. Just sayin' ;) (PS I promise it took me all of 4 minutes to write that very powerful poem. he he. )
Hopefully next post will be filled with pics from outdoors. Happy two weeks before spring!
 

No comments: