Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Spring Break 2014



This past week was our familys' spring break.  Carlo and I decided to take the boys to Lego Land at the Mall of America.  We really did have a great time; despite a few kinks in the plan. We stayed at a nice hotel for two nights and also got to visit the fantastic 'SeaLife' exhibit Monday night inside the MOA; it was a highlight for me (see Carlo's FB page for pics).  Our plan was to visit the indoor amusement park at the Mall all day for Toddler Tuesday.  We mustered up as much energy as we could and arrived at the Mall before it even opened.  The boys were in good spirits and I was confident we would have a blast.  The park finally opened at 9:30 am and we rode a half a dozen rides within the hour!  PS Carlo and I did our best to stay focused despite the faint feeling of nausea creeping up after yes....., the kiddy rides. We officially have accepted that fact we are getting old and dislike rides that repeat a certain “tickle belly” sensation.



Then, as the eleventh hour approached, Caleb’s sweet pink cheeks started fading to white.  He looked at me with those all too familiar eyes and told me his belly hurt.  Oh no!  That could only mean one thing.  (I didn't want to rule out the possibility that the rides got him sick, but a moms instinct knows. ;\
We decided to take a break.  I was somewhat hopeful  that after a trip to the bathroom and a little snack he’d feel better. Typically he is a total trooper when sick. That was not the ticket.  Instead he left his breakfast (and probably his dinner from the night before) right there in the middle of the floor at the Mall of America. No, I didn’t panic. Carlo didn’t either.  I stood there for a second, my hands soaking in puke, and discovered there are very sweet, hospitable folk in Minnesota.  Props to the woman who kindly handed me a clean receiving blanket I could use to wipe and cover up the mess.  We had someone call maintenance and by lunch time we were all back at the hotel veg’ing out watching day-time TV. Our plan B was nice. I snuggled with C in the big comfy bed and Josh and daddy enjoyed the ipad for a while in the other bed.

Oh yes, somewhere in there I also won the, "Mom of the Year" award and forgot to buckle Josh in the stroller after the barf- fest and before we knew it Josh's lip is bleeding like crazy! (He tried climbing out of the stroller as we hunted for a bathroom.) Sheesh.

  After  a few more trips to the bathroom we actually had a great night sleep. We woke us Wednesday morning  bright and early and took a quick dip in the pool and then enjoyed my  favorite part about hotel continental breakfast; the fresh, tasty, golden brown waffles! While packing up to head home we decided to be brave a visit IKEA before hitting the road.  I had a few things on my list and seriously set the bar low not expecting to stay quite as long as I would normally want.  I put on a determined face and did IKEA in an hour just in time to catch lunch in the stores' cafe where families eat for $10 on Wednesdays;) I was happy with our loot and the boys both told us they had an "awesome  time!"

Check!


Josh's new reading corner courtesy of IKEA
.


No comments: